Image Map

Friday, August 23, 2013

Weekly PD: Tot-tails - A Little Darling's Libation

The Fizzy Izzy (cantaloupe or honeydew alternative) in my Grandmother's Vintage Port Glasses

Good Lord, it has been a week!!  Through out these past five days, I have found a new sense of appreciation for the end of the day. Not only does it bring the dawn of another, it also brings cocktail hour. Most of the time this involves the enjoyment of a true cocktail or sometimes, a cheery sparkling water infused with orange and rosemary, or a floral tea.  Cocktail hour in the Darling home typically begins when the children are asleep, however, this week we found that there was another person in need of a special treat at the end of the day.  This week's Pixie Dust came in the form of a Little Darling libation.

The littlest darling is currently a limit pushing enthusiast. Let me illustrate his newly appointed title: He takes the "one more step" ...   he presses every button..."If he screams one more time, I'll lose it" ...  and he gets his tiny little hands on everything he ought not ..."Darling!! Don't touch that!!"

I know that this is completely normal for his age (according to our pediatrician and experience) but for heaven's sake, the boy won't quit! There is a reason babies are so darn cute... it's so their parents won't bring them back to Costco, as our daughter frequently points out, to her, he came from Costco.

BRING ON THE COCKTAILS!!!

I do believe that these are the years that we need to cherish. I'm experiencing for myself that they pass in the blink of an eye, but at the end of the day, when Mommy is raw with frustration, she just needs a sweet kiss from the good old fruit of the vine. (From you too, Darling!) -- I began to think of my daughter... what must she be feeling amidst the chaos that is rocking her former only-child world? -- And I thought....she needs a ritual... a treat that only she is allowed to enjoy... in peace.

Our darling daughter has been very patient with her brother, while he relentlessly pinched her face and pulled her hair (which is an absolute No-No ...  something we are trying very hard to convey). This past Tuesday evening, I was remembering the days when I was allowed to have a Shirley Temple. I was dressed, pressed, and alight with the feeling that I was a cut above babies ... a big girl ... one with my grown up parental units. I knew that this was a feeling that our daughter would eat up.  I had the idea of pureeing a very ripe cantaloupe and honeydew in order to make her a healthier version of my beloved Shirley Temple - something she could enjoy after dinner when her brother went to bed.

We didn't want to promote alcohol consumption to our five year old so we refrained from beginning our adult cocktail hour and using our playful term, "Tot-Tails".  I named the kiddie libation "The Fizzy Izzy" and we each enjoyed a tiny glass of the sweet refreshment for dessert.  It was a huge hit. Our daughter clasped her hands with joy as she saw the "fancy" glasses coming toward her on a tray -- and as our darling smacked her lips in delight she said, "Mmm... We should make this for Bruder when he learns to use gentle hands." I'll take her advice on that one!  

With love,
Mrs. Darling

THE FIZZY IZZY
1very ripe Cantaloupe or Honeydew
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup sparkling water or club soda

*Cut Cantaloupe or Honeydew into chunks
*Put in food processor or blender and puree until smooth
*Pour into a very fine strainer- a Chinois is perfect if you have it - over a pitcher or bowl
*Skim any froth or impurities that rise to the surface
*Add lime juice a tablespoon at a time and stir, tasting each time for desired proportions.
*Add sparkling water or club soda
*Chill before serving

Taste Test


No comments:

Post a Comment