Image Map

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mrs. Darling: Packing For The Hospital



I can still remember the feeling of being – DONE – at the end of each of my third trimesters. I was ready to graciously ask my little tenants to pack up and get the show on the road. About a month before each of my respective due dates, I pulled out my overnighter and prepared for what would be my labor and delivery trousseau. Every Mother’s needs are different when it comes to preparing for the birth of her child and the subsequent recovery, but aside from the obvious essentials such as a car seat, camera, phone and all necessary chargers … I thought I would share a few of my personal recommendations that I was most thankful I packed. Here is a list of items one might want to consider while preparing for the waddle to check in and check out!

Disposable Toiletry Items i.e. Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Facial Cleanser and Facial Products, Body Cream and Deodorant: There is nothing more refreshing after hours of labor than your first shower and cleansing routine. While they provide many of these items at the hospital, I have found that your own creature comforts can aid in a certain sense of tranquility and normalcy in the 24 hour time period of a complete and utter life change! If your favorite products cannot be found in travel size, I discovered that many counters in departments stores or small boutiques are more than happy to supply you with sample sizes to get you through your 2 – 3 day recovery period in the hospital – Major shout out to my girls from Bergdorf Goodman who hooked me up with my favorite day and night time regimens in miniature!

      Hair Brush and Hair Ties/Clips: These items don’t need any explanation. In all honesty, after you are able to shower you will not have the time, let alone the energy to blow out your hair, but you’ll certainly want to run something through it and get it out of your face.

      2 or 3 Comfortable Short Night Gowns or Long Night Shirts In Black: After my first go-a-round, I realized that I was tremendously uncomfortable in the hospital gowns that were given to me. After I had time to rest following the birth of my second baby, I showered and changed into a black, short sleeve, V necked, jersey nightie by Cosabella.  I chose black for the obvious reason that you are bleeding for several days postpartum and I never had to worry about ruining a garment. V necked nighties allow for easy access when breastfeeding, jersey is such a comfortable and forgiving fabric that you cannot go wrong and lastly, I decided on a shorter length because it makes for much less fuss when the Doctors and Nurses are checking your healing process.

      2 or 3 Nursing Bras/Tank Tops: After the first day postpartum and especially after my milk came in I was in desperate need of support (In more ways than one). There is a plethora of nursing bras and brands to choose from and the process of selecting them is purely a matter of preference, comfort and circumstance.  I always favored Elle Macpherson’s line of Bras and Target’s Gilligan & O’Malley Sports Bra Styles and Tank Tops. I loved sleeping in a nursing tank top because I didn’t have to open or pull up a shirt when I was half asleep at 2 am.  

1 or 2 Nursing Covers: My covers were wonderful through out the months my children were nursing and they were also fabulously helpful when guests came to meet the baby during visiting hours. They allowed me to continue to nurse on demand while keeping me covered and simultaneously keeping our visitors as comfortable as possible.  I highly recommend Bebe Au Lait nursing covers, yet a few of my girlfriends have had great success with a simple swaddling blanket. Aden and Anais make a tremendous swaddle blanket that is made of muslin so it’s not only light and airy - it’s incredibly soft as well.

Homecoming Outfit For Baby: I loved shopping for this particular outfit for both of our Newborns. This is obviously a very personal choice; just don’t forget to pack it!

Homecoming Outfit For Mommy: My outfit of choice both times around was a pairing of black, wide banded leggings, a comfortable top and flats. This seems to be a fairly common selection. Do not forget to include a nursing bra and my major essential: Black, Full Bottomed Underwear. As I mentioned above, you will have several days of postpartum bleeding and will more than likely be wearing a very thick pad, thus, comfort is key! Packing a pair or two in your hospital bag is wise and stocking few pairs to have when you get home is brilliant.

This personal list is based on a straightforward labor and delivery. Those of us who have been there know that things can change in a heartbeat.  Just remember that at the end of the day, no matter what you pack, it will never be as important as what…or whom you take away.

With love,
Mrs. Darling 

1 comment:

  1. I discovered that many counters in departments stores or small boutiques are more than happy to supply you with sample sizes to get you through your 2 – 3 day recovery period in the hospital – Major shout out to my girls from Bergdorf Goodman who hooked me up with my favorite day and night time regimens in miniature! central london removals

    ReplyDelete